Marion Munley is a member of Munley Law. Munley Law represents victims and consumers in personal injury litigation with 7 offices located throughout Pennsylvania.
Marion Munley represents individuals and their families in complex personal injury litigation. A trial lawyer for over 24 years, Ms. Munley is known not only for her trial skills but also for her professional commitment and compassion for her clients. She has successfully represented clients in both the State and Federal courts obtaining multi-million dollar recoveries.
In 2006, Marion Munley was named by Lawdragon as one of the 500 leading plaintiffs' lawyers in the United States. In 2007, she was named by Lawdragon as one of the 2,500 leading attorneys in all practice areas of the United States.
Ms. Munley has been Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1996. In order to be Board Certified, she met a rigorous testing and approval process that officially recognizes her extensive education and courtroom experience. She was re-certified in 2001 and 2006. Ms. Munley was the second woman in the Commonwealth to be named a board certified civil trial advocate.
Ms. Munley was inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) in 2006. ABOTA is a national organization dedicated to the preservation of the jury trial. Membership is by nomination and election only. Members must display civility, integrity and have completed a minimum of at least twenty (20) trials to jury verdict. Additionally, Ms. Munley has been elected to the International Society of Barristers, an honor society of outstanding trial lawyers chosen by their peers on the basis of excellence and integrity in advocacy, and she has been listed in one of the most respected peer-review publications in the legal profession, Best Lawyers in America.
Ms. Munley also has received an AV® Preeminent™ rating in the Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory, which is the directory’s highest possible rating for ethical and professional excellence. The rating is based on a peer review system.
Ms. Munley has been selected as a Super Lawyer by Philadelphia Magazine for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. This distinction is limited to only 5% of the legal community in Pennsylvania.
Ms. Munley was named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania by the American Trial Lawyers Association in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011.
In 2008, Ms. Munley was selected as a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA). The LCA is invitation only by Trial Lawyer Honorary Society representing less than ½ of 1% of American lawyers. LCA fellows are deemed to be among the best trial lawyers in the American Bar who have exhibited accomplishments in litigation and trial work, and superior ethical reputations.
Ms. Munley's commitment to the law sharpened her continuing education choices as she focused her continuing legal education work in the areas of trial advocacy. In 2007 she was named a Diplomat of the National College of Advocacy which recognizes those individuals who have attained over 400 credit hours attending American Association for Justice Programs including the "Ultimate Trial Advocacy Course: Art of Persuasion". She was also one of 48 lawyers selected nationally in 1996 to attend Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College.
Ms. Munley believes in giving back to the legal community. To that end, she is heavily involved in teaching younger and less experienced lawyers trial skills including voir dire, opening, direct and cross-examination and closing argument. She is particularly dedicated to advancing the careers of female trial lawyers. She has been on the staff of the Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College since 2004. Additionally, she serves as an invited lecturer for the American Association for Justice, Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, and the Lackawanna County Bar Association.
In 1996, Ms. Munley founded the Association of Women Lawyers of Lackawanna County, an organization which fosters the development of female attorneys through mentoring, networking and scholarship.
- University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania, B.A. cum laude - 1983
- London School of Economics, London, England, (Junior year abroad 1981-1982)
- Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland (1980)
- Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Juris Doctorate - 1986
- Pennsylvania (1986)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania (1986)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1994)
- New York, 2003
American Association for Justice
- Executive Committee Interstate Trucking Litigation Group
- Oil and Gas Litigation Group
Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Board of Governors (1989-Present)
- District Whip (2007-2009)
- Executive Committee (2009-Present)
Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers
- President (1999-2000)
Association of Women Lawyers of Lackawanna County
- Past President and Founding Member (1996-1997)
- American Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Commission on Women in the Profession
- Lackawanna County Bar Association
- Luzerne County Bar & Library Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Certified Mediator, United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Lawyers Advisory Committee of the Judicial Counsel of the Third Circuit (2008-2011)
Interest on Lawyers Trust Account Board
- Treasurer (1992)
- Graduate Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College (1996, 8/1 through 8/31)
- Member, International Society of Barristers
- Named "Best Lawyers in America" as selected by peers. (2012)
- Chosen as a Top 25 Women Business Professionals for 2011 in the Northeast Pennsylvania Business Journal
Named Super Lawyer by Pennsylvania Magazine
(Top 5% of all Pennsylvania Lawyers, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Named to Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Plaintiff’s Lawyers in the United States, 2006
- Named to Lawdragon’s 2500 Leading Lawyers in all Practice Areas in the United States, 2007
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Certified Advocate By The National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy
Board Certified (Civil) National Board of Trial Advocacy. Boston, MA (1996; Recertified 2001, 2006, 2011)
(Second woman in the Commonwealth to be board certified.)
- Diplomat, National College of Advocacy. Washington, DC (2007)
- Board Certified, Association of Plaintiffs Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America. Springfield, MO (2008)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated "AV" (2010)
- Invited to speak as faculty at the American Association for Justice Advanced Trial Advocacy College: Litigating Truck Collision Cases in Kansas City, MO, October 2011
- Member of the Staff of Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College 2004-present
Participated as a faculty member at the following 3-1/2 day workshops designed to train and educate lawyers in the art of persuasion.
- Regional Seminar, Highland Springs, California, Focus of seminar: Voir Dire 1/19-1/23/05
- Regional Seminar, Perrysburg, Ohio, Focus of seminar: Direct Examination. 4/13/05 - 4/17/05
- Regional Seminar, Round Top, Texas, Focus of seminar: Opening Statement 2/22-2/25/07
- Regional Seminar, Black Mountain, North Carolina, Focus of Seminar, Direct Examination 2/21-2/24/08
- Regional Seminar Briar Cliff Manor, New York, Focus of Seminar: Opening Statement 4/10-4/13/08
Participated as a faculty member at the following week-long seminars:
- Graduate II Seminar, Thunderhead Ranch, Dubois, Wyoming, Week-long program training lawyer graduates of the Trial Lawyer College - 8/23 - 8/28/04 (Trial Techniques)
- New Judicial College, Thunderhead Ranch, Dubois, Wyoming, Week-long program training trial and appellate judges from all over the U.S. - 9/25-10/2/05
- Trial Lawyers College, Thunderhead Ranch, Dubois, Wyoming, 7/9-7/15/09 (Trial Techniques)
Participated in week-long training for Trial Lawyers College
- Faculty Training at Thunderhead Ranch, Dubois, WY - 5/17-5/23/04
- Faculty Training At Thunderhead Ranch, Dubois, WY - 5/15-5/21/06
- Faculty Training At Thunderhead Ranch, Dubois, WY - 5/14-5/20/07
- Faculty Training At Thunderhead Ranch, Dubois, WY - 5/19-5/23/08
- Presenter, "Litigating Trucking Cases from the Plaintiff's Perspective" - Lorman Educational Services, Philadelphia, PA May 28, 2008
- Presenter, "Discovery in Trucking Cases" - American Association for Justice Interstate Trucking Litigation Fall 2008 Program, Chicago, IL, October 3, 2008
- Presenter, "Review & Update: All the Latest Regarding Federal Regulations" - American Association for Justice Litigating Trucking Cases Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, February 20, 21, 2009
- Presenter and Moderator, "Selecting, Investigating, Evaluation and Settling Personal Injury Cases", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA July 8, 2009
- Presenter, "Unique Discovery Issues in Trucking Cases - Not Your Daddy's Deposition", American Association for Justice Interstate Trucking Litigation Group Seminar, San Francisco, CA, July 28, 2009
- Faculty member, First Trial Advocacy College: "Litigating truck collision cases", American Association for Justice, Atlanta GA, October 9-12, 2009.
- Presenter, "The Butcher, The Baker, and The Candlestick Maker, persuading the jury in Tractor Trailer Cases". American Association for Justice, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group Seminar, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada July 10, 2010.
- Presenter, "Discovery in Trucking Cases", American Association for Justice, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, October 8, 2010
- Frequent lecturer for the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Lorman Educational Service on topics of Trial Strategy and Tactics
- Author of “Power Up Your Discovery In Trucking Cases” for Trial magazine, the official publication of the American Associations for Justice.
- Panelist, "Leadership in the Law", Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar, Scranton, PA June 29, 2011
- Speaker, Roundwoods Senior Citizen Group on “Identity Theft” focusing on how and why Senior Citizens are targeted
- Speaker, West Side Senior Center on “Preparations for Surgery” focusing on issues to consider prior to any surgical procedure
- Speaker, Edwardsville Senior Center on “Identity Theft” on preventing personal information from falling into the wrong hands
- Speaker, Kingston Senior Center on “Identity Theft” on tips to avoid becoming a victim of identity theft
- Speaker, Freeland Senior Center on “Identity Theft” on step to take if you become aware your identity has been stolen
- Speaker, Abington Senior Center on "What To Expect When A Loved One Enters A Nursing Home"
- Speaker, Mid-Valley Senior Center on "Identity Theft" on how and why senior citizens are common targets
Speaker, Carbondale and North Pocono Senior Center on “Identity Theft” on how and why senior citizens are common targets.
Speaker, Scranton Chamber of Commerce Women’s Network Luncheon on the “Glass Ceiling”.
- Volunteer, Hope Clinic, providing free legal services to those in need 2006-present
- Legal Analyst, WBRE, “The Law & You” series 2005-present
- Member, Board of Directors, Lake George Land Conservancy 2006-present
- Member, Board of Trustees, Marywood University 2008-present (Vice Chair 2010)
- Member, Peckville Business and Professional Women, Past President 1995-1996
- Member, Trial Lawyers Care, the largest pro bono effort in the United States following 2001 terror attacks; represented a rescue worker before Victim’s Compensation Fund.
- Marion is married to Matthew A. Cartwright, and is the mother of two sons.
At Munley Law, our goal is to provide exceptional legal services to our clients. We strive to achieve the highest standard of excellence for the protection of individual rights through team work and the use of our considerable resources and experience. For a free consultation regarding your legal concerns, contact us today for a free consultation or call us toll free at 877-421-9173.