The Team at Munley Law Excel at Personal Injury Law
Our firm was founded by Robert W. Munley in 1959 and for over five decades our firm has been a national leader in personal injury law. Our attorneys helped to create many of the laws that protect innocent victims today. We have top credentials and have consistently been chosen among the Best Lawyers in America and have received top ratings from our peers. We are a family of lawyers and we work as a team on most of our accident cases. This is a big benefit to all of our personal injury clients as they receive the combined knowledge and experience of out entire team. And the proof is in the pudding: we have received some of the largest verdicts and settlements in the country, helping our clients to get the justice they deserve. The attorneys at Munley Law constantly strive to remain the best; we keep up to date on the latest technologies in trial work, we hire only the top experts in the nation and we continuously educate ourselves on updates in personal injury law. We regularly teach other lawyers how to present cases and we hold leadership positions in numerous associations such as the trucking law division of the American Association for Justice and the Pennsylvania Association for Justice. We handle all types of personal injury cases which include: truck accidents, auto accidents, bus accidents, car recall cases, wrongful death, medical malpractice, work injuries, product liability, premises liability and child abuse cases.
We Do Not Get Paid Unless We Win your Personal Injury Case
Most people avoid hiring a lawyer because they think they all charge by the hour and at astronomical rates. Actually, in personal injury cases, lawyers work on a contingent fee basis. What that means is the attorney only gets paid if he or she wins money damages for you – the client. The fee agreement is usually a percentage of the amount recovered. This makes it possible for anyone to hire only the best lawyer. It gives everyone access to the justice system and representation that is equal to the best that insurance companies, doctors and other defendants can hire.
Awards and Recognitions
Since 1959 our firm has successfully fought for justice and compensation for people like you. We have developed lasting relationships with our clients who rely on us for our legal expertise and depend on us to be compassionate, communicative, accessible and last but not least, tough. Munley Law has received a high degree of peer recognition for our skills, experience, ethics and accomplishments.
- Best Lawyers in America: Munley Law has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America each year since 1993. Attorney Robert W. Munley has been listed in each edition since publication began. Marion Munley, Robert Munley III, Dan Munley and Chris Munley are all recognized individually as Best Lawyers. The publication is based on peer review by thousands of lawyers in the U.S. Because attorneys are not allowed to pay a fee for inclusion, Best Lawyers has gained the respect of the legal profession, the media and clients as a reliable, unbiased source for legal referrals.
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum: Robert W. Munley, Marion Munley, J. Christopher Munley, Robert W. Munley, III and Daniel W. Munley are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a prestigious group of trial lawyers. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements.
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent LawyersTM: Munley Law is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent LawyersTM under the headings of Appellate Practice, Civil Trial Practice, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Trial Practice, Elder Law, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Product Liability Law, Social Security and Workers’ Compensation. The Bar Register of Preeminent LawyersTM is the definitive guide to the most distinguished law firms in America, listing only those select lawyers and law firms that have earned the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell®Law Directory and have been designated by their colleagues as preeminent in their field.
- Lawdragon Legal Rankings: Marion Munley and Robert W. Munley have been named by Lawdragon to the 500 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers in the country. Additionally, Marion Munley and Robert W. Munley are included in the 3,000 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers in Lawdragon, a ranking that consists of the top 1 percent of the overall legal profession.
- American Board of Trial Advocates: Attorney Marion Munley is an Associates of the American Board of Trial Advocates, which is dedicated to helping attorneys achieve a higher level of trial advocacy and to educate the public about the vital importance of civil jury trials. Robert W. Munley is an Advocate of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- National Trial Lawyers: Robert W. Munley, Marion Munley, Daniel W. Munley and Robert W. Munley III are members of the National Trial Lawyers Association, a national organization composed of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers from each state. Membership is through special invitation and extended to only those attorneys who exemplify superior qualifications, leadership, reputation, influence, stature and profile as trial lawyers.
- Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College: Marion Munley is on the staff of the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College, a non-profit organization dedicated to training and educating lawyers and judges who are committed to the jury system and to representing and obtaining justice for individuals.
- International Society of Barristers: Robert W. Munley and Marion Munley are member of the International Society of Barristers, an honor society of outstanding trial lawyers chosen by their peers on the basis of excellence and integrity in advocacy. The Society seeks to preserve trial by jury, the adversary system and the independence of the judiciary. In recognition of his outstanding personal and professional qualities and distinguished attainments, Mr. Munley was named as an Advocate of the Society in 1986.
- National Board of Trial Advocacy: Five Munley Law trial attorneys – Robert W. Munley, Marion Munley, J. Christopher Munley, Daniel Webster Munley, Julia K. Munley and John Mulcahey have been Board Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocates, a non-profit organization founded in 1977 to better the quality of trial advocacy in America’s courtrooms and help those needing legal services to locate experienced and highly qualified trial lawyers. NBTA is accredited by the American Bar Association to certify lawyers in the specialty areas of civil, criminal and family law trial advocacy.
- Super Lawyers: Attorneys Robert W. Munley, Marion Munley, Robert w. Munley III, Daniel W. Munley, Christopher Munley and John Mulcahey have been awarded the Super Lawyers designation, which is given to only 5 percent of Pennsylvania lawyers and is based on nominations and feedback from 34,000 other Pennsylvanian attorneys. During the six-month selection process, attorneys across the state are asked to name the best lawyers they have personally observed in action. Caroline Munley has been named a Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” a designation for excellence in advocacy by attorneys under age 40.
Munley Law and Our Commitment to Public Service
Our family of lawyers and our support staff have an unwavering interest in the future and direction of our communities. It’s part of our philosophy to help in the communities we serve. Here are just a few examples of the contributions that our staff and our founders are making: The “Robert & Bernadine Munley Endowed Scholarship” has been established for Landmark College in Vermont. Landmark College is the nation’s premier college for students with dyslexia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) and other specific learning disabilities. The scholarship is presented to a worthy student with learning disabilities who would like to become an attorney. Robert W. Munley serves as a member and former chairman of the Board of Trustees of the college. The Marion Munley Scholarship has been established at Marywood University in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in honor of the former PA State House of Representatives member. This scholarship provides financial assistance to a student in Lackawanna County interested in pursuing a career in law or politics. Presently, Attorney Marion Munley serves as a member of the Marywood University Board of Trustees. The University of Scranton has created a scholarship in the name of Robert W. Munley. Robert W. Munley and his brother, The Honorable James W. Munley, contributed to this scholarship in honor of their father. This scholarship provides financial assistance to a student in Lackawanna County who is interested in pursuing a career in law or politics. Munley sponsors the annual Family-to-Family Thanksgiving Food Basket Program. Following in the footsteps of their father, Robert W. Munley, Chris and Caroline Munley take to the airwaves every November via a paid advertising schedule and ask for contributions on behalf of the program, which has served over 250,000 needy families since its inception over two decades ago. Additionally, every Christmas season, Munley’s team of volunteers give time and money to make sure there’s a little something under the Christmas tree for needy kids in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Along with a variety of private agencies, the firm has underwritten expense free trips to send more than 300 children and adult volunteers to the United States Capital in Washington, D.C. in association with Scranton Project Hope. The trips are comprised of children from low-income families ranging in age from preschoolers to teenagers. Project Hope helps these youngsters realize how important it is for Americans to learn about and participate actively in our democracy, both as citizens and as leaders. The Munley staff put on sneakers and take to the streets to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure sponsored by Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Many people in the firm have had their lives affected by breast cancer whether it was through a friend, family member, client or even personally. C.A.S.U.A.L. Day (Colon Cancer Awareness Saves Unlimited Adult Lives), sponsored by the Northeast Regional Cancer Institute, started out as an event primarily in Lackawanna County but has now spread to all six surrounding counties. Over 150 businesses and more than 6500 individuals participate in the event by purchasing and wearing T-shirts or pins to work on a designated Thursday in March. Proclamations by all six County Commissioners Offices give additional support and recognition. C.A.S.U.A.L. Day is growing and Munley is proud to be part of this critical awareness effort in Northeast Pennsylvania. Munley is proud to be affiliated with Serving Seniors, which is dedicated to improving the quality of life and care of nursing home residents, personal care home residents and older adults in Lackawanna County. The firm serves as hole sponsors for numerous charitable golfing events such as the Partnership for Clarks Summit State Hospital, the Lackawanna Bar Association, Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers, Lackawanna College and many others.
The late Janie Lamberton, fomer Senior Pre-Litigation Paralegal at Munley Law, was a shining example of how our firm makes a difference, both in the courtroom and in the community. A pet lover and owner of five rescued dogs, Janie was a long-time volunteer with organizations like the Humane Society of Lackawanna County, the Dessin Animal Shelter, Dogs of Appalachian Welfare Group, Appalachian Animal Rescue Friends, Circle of Light, and Tracey’s Hope. She also volunteered with TDI (Therapy Dogs International) visiting nursing homes, hospitals, hospice facilities and local libraries. Janie also transported volunteers to and from shelters, and assisted both local and non-local shelters with fundraising projects. She worked tirelessly to unite homeless pets to pet-less homes (or homes in need of more pets!). Her motto was “until they all have a home.” We lovingly remember Janie, and strive to live up to her example of selflessness and care.