Daniel Webster Munley, a partner in the regional law firm of Munley Law concentrates his practice in personal injury cases, with a special focus on tractor trailer litigation.
A graduate of the University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania (B.S., 1990) and the University of Tulsa College of Law, Oklahoma (J.D., 1994), Munley has successfully litigated numerous commercial motor vehicle cases within his area of specialization. He has developed a national reputation as a preeminent practitioner in tractor trailer accident litigation.
Munley, a charter member and current Executive Board member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Trucking Litigation Group, has been a featured national speaker for AAJ in venues including Las Vegas, Seattle, and Tennessee. He most recently lectured at AAJ’s annual convention presenting “A Discovery in a Tractor Trailer Case”. Over 200 attorneys from across the country benefited from his thorough presentation detailing how to properly investigate and collect all necessary evidence prior to litigating a case. He has been the Special Projects Coordinator, Treasurer, Secretary and currently is the Chair of TLG for AAJ. He was appointed by the President of AAJ to the Public Affairs Committee.
Attorney Munley’s scholarship continues in the field of professional development as witnessed through his contributions to the ABA publication “Truck Accident Litigation”, 2nd Edition, published in 2006. He is the author of numerous professional commentaries, among them: “Why a Truck Collision Case Must Be Handled Differently Than an Auto Collision Case” presented at AAJ, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July, 2005; “Discovery in a Tractor-Trailer Case” presented at AAJ, Seattle, WA, July, 2006; “Cross-Examining Defense Experts” presented at AAJ, Las Vegas, NV October, 2006; “Early Discovery in Interstate Trucking Litigation Cases” presented at Nashville, Tenn. and Lexington, KY; “Spoliation of the Log Books - How Trucking Companies Try to Hide the Truth” presented at Atlanta, GA and “The Big Truck Case” presented in St. Louis, Missouri.
A recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy, Daniel was named a Certified Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in 2004. He is also a graduate of Ultimate Trial Advocacy at Harvard Law School and is one of the firm’s six Superlawyers. Munley currently holds bar admissions in Pennsylvania (1996), United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania (1996) and United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2000). Munley is Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, (2004) as well as being certified by the Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (AITLA) in 2009.
Committed to giving back to the community, both locally and globally, Munley participated in the “Trial Lawyers Care Program”, the largest pro bono project in the history of American jurisprudence. Assigned to represent a Parisian who had moved to the United States to pursue his studies and was killed in the attacks on the World Trade Center, Attorney Munley was instrumental in obtaining an award of $3.9 million from the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund for the family of the deceased victim.
Supreme Court Justice Steven Breyer recognized his contributions by presenting him with a pro bono service award from the American Trial Lawyers Association. In addition, Daniel was acknowledged by the French Consulate in New York City for providing pro bono services after the attacks of 9-11.
Attorney Munley also shares his experience and knowledge with northeast Pennsylvania’s television viewers by serving as a legal analyst for “The Law & You”, aired nightly during WBRE/NBC TV’s evening newscast.
When Attorney Daniel Munley is not practicing law he donates time to his community. He is active with many charitable organizations including serving on the Board of Directors of the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s annual “Black and Blue Ball”. He was recently elected as Sr. Director of the Lackawanna Bar Association. Dan has also served as featured speaker at the Council for Community Affairs Annual Martin Luther King, Jr Dinner, Scranton, PA as well as guest speaker at The University of Scranton’s Nursing Home Litigation Lectures. He serves as President of the Forum Towers Board of Directors and is the solicitor for the Abington Little League.
Dan and his wife Valerie are the proud parents of three children.
- The University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania, B.S., Dean’s List, 1990
- University of Tulsa, College of Law ,Oklahoma, Juris Doctor, 1994
- Pennsylvania (1996)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania (1996)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2000)
- Named AAJ Trucking Litigation Group National Chair, 2011
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
American Association for Justice
- Vice Chairman of the AAJ's Interstate Trucking Litigation Group, 2010
- Executive Board, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group
- Special Projects Coordinator for Interstate Trucking Litigation Group (2007)
- Member, Motor Vehicle Collision Highway and Premises Liability sections
Lackawanna County Bar Association
- Civil Rules Committee; Judiciary Committee (2009)
- Elected to a five year term as the Senior Director, 2011
- Luzerne County Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Small Business Litigation Group
- The Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick
- Board of Directors, Black and Blue Ball, Muscular Dystrophy Association, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Board Member, Forum Towers
Named Super Lawyer by Pennsylvania Magazine;
(Top 5% of all Pennsylvania Lawyers,) 2011, 2012
- Pennsylvania Rising Stars Super Lawyer 2005, 2006 and 2010
- American Jurisprudence Award of Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Recognition: French Consulate, NYC, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Trial Lawyers Care
- Recognized as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers for Pennsylvania by the American Trials Lawyers Association
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2004
- Certification by the Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (AITLA), 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated “av” (2010)
- Certified Advocate By The National Board of Civil Pretrial Practice Advocacy
- Spoke to the Kentucky Justice Association on "How To Litigate That Big Truck Case", June 2012
- Why a Truck Collision Case Must Be Handled Differently Than an Auto Collision Case: presented at AAJ, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July, 2005
- Discovery in a Tractor-Trailer Case: presented at AAJ, Seattle, WA, July, 2006
- Cross-Examining Defense Experts: presented at AAJ, Las Vegas, NV October, 2006
- Violations as a Path to Justice: presented at St. Louis, MO
- Early Discovery in Interstate Trucking Litigation Cases: presented at Nashville, Tenn and Lexington, KY
- Spoliation of the Log Books - How Trucking Companies Try to Hide the Truth: presented at Atlanta, GA
- Nursing Home Litigation Lectures at The University of Scranton
- Featured Speaker at the Council for Community Affairs Annual Martin Luther King, Jr Dinner, Scranton, PA
COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES & PUBLIC SERVICE
- Member, Trial Lawyers Care, the largest pro bono effort in the United States following the 2001 terror attacks
- Board of Directors, Black and Blue Ball, Muscular Dystrophy Association for the years 2007, 2008, 2009
- Legal Analyst, WBRE-TV (northeastern PA NBC-affiliate) “The Law & You” series
- Solicitor, Board of Directors, Abingtion Little League
- Board of Directors, Forum Towers, Scranton, PA.
- Coach, Little League Baseball
- Coach, Boys Basketball
- Coach, Girls Softball
- Daniel is married to Valerie Munley and is the father of three children.
To contact Daniel Munley please fill out our online contact form.
At Munley Law, our goal is to provide exceptional legal services to our clients. We strive to achieve the highest standard of excellence for the protection of individual rights through team work and the use of our considerable resources and experience. For a free consultation regarding your legal concerns, contact us today for a free consultation or call us toll free at 877-421-9173.